10.08.2009

Makeup Bag Tutorial

[I'm moving Food for Thought Thursday to Friday... I'm trying a new recipe this evening for bowling and want to share it with you tomorrow!!]
Yesterday, I was in a time crunch for a birthday present for this evening. I didn't have the time or the money to run out to the store so I turned to my stash of fabric and figured I could throw something together with some supplies I already had.

My original idea was to make a wristlet but realized I only had a 7inch zipper and that wouldn't be long enough for the size wristlet I wanted. Instead, I opted to make a small makeup bag- the perfect size to carry in your purse.

I used...
2 fat quarters (or scrap fabric) I had lying around in coordinating fabrics [make sure you press them before beginning]
1 zipper
interfacing

I made it by...
1. Cut your fabrics according to the size bag you want- 2 pieces from each fat quarter Also cut 2 pieces of interfacing. I had a wristlet lying around that I based my measurements off of.

2. Iron on interfacing to the 2 exterior pieces of fabric.

3. Okay this was the confusing part [at least for me]. You're going to sew your interior fabric to the zipper by lining up the underside of the zipper with the right side of the fabric facing it [hope that makes sense... I think I confused myself just typing it!!]. Then for the exterior fabric you're going to line up the topside of the zipper with the right side of the fabric facing it. Hopefully the picture helps...


4. Next open the zipper almost all of the way. Then take the two exterior pieces and pin them together with right sides together and do the same withe interior pieces. To make sure my bag is symmetrical I drew lines on the exterior fabric to follow while sewing.

5. Sew along lines on the exterior fabric. Do the same for the interior fabric but be sure to leave room in the in bottom to flip everything right side out.
6. Flip right side out. And stitch the whole closed.

7. Fill it with your favorite cosmetics and throw it in your purse and you're done!!!


Enjoy, Amanda

6 comments:

  1. Awesome, it's super cute! I love stashbusting projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, HOW FREAKING COOL IS IT TO HAVE THE FIRST COMMENT BY HEATHER!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! It's super cute, easy, and QUICK to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute fabrics! I saw your project at dollar store crafts and gave it a shot:

    http://readysetcraft.blogspot.com/2009/11/last-minute-make-up-bag.html

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joanne!! Your bag turned out great! Thanks for giving the tutorial a shot. It's great to know someone foudn it useful!

    ReplyDelete