10.12.2009

Skyline Drive and Camping

What an amazingly beautiful weekend!!! Jeremy and I decided to take off on Saturday morning for Skyline Drive in Virginia. It was such a good idea.

The scenery was so beautiful. It is definitely fall around here. All of the leaves were shades of red, yellow, and orange. The only downside of the entire trip was when we arrived and I went to take my first picture and the battery icon was blinking and said there were only 20mins left on the battery!! Lucky for me I had my old camera so I made it through the weekend able to take lots of pretty pictures!
We entered Skyline Drive through the northernmost entrance at Front Royal, VA. We didn't travel all 105 miles but we made it about halfway. Jeremy and I stopped off at many of the overlooks along the way [we even took a nap at one on Sunday].



Instead staying at a hotel in a town along the route we opted to camp out for the night. What a better idea!! Camping has got to be one of my favorite things to do [besides craft]. We started off with a little trouble trying to find a campground that wasn't full but luckily we found Outlander's River Camp. It was a great campground that just opened on Labor Day. We were the first ones to ever use the fire pit on our site!! If you're ever in the Luray, Va area I highly recommend you stay a night at one of their riverside primitive campsites.


The view from our site was awesome... a corn field straight ahead and mountains all around!!

The Shenandoah River was a short hike from our site.
After a very CHILLY night we spent the following day exploring the town of Luray and attending the local Heritage Festival. It was right up my alley... tons and tons of homemade goodies!

Since it was so nice out we continued to sight see along Skyline Drive.

I really wanted to see a waterfall so we stopped off at Dark Hollow Falls and took a 1.4 mi hike down the mountain to the falls.

Unfortunately, when we arrived I was a bit disappointed. It was more of a trickling stream than a falls... not to mention the hike back up the mountain was a bit strenuous [maybe I should take that as a hint it's time to get back to the gym!!].



It was an absolutely perfect weekend. It couldn't have been better!!!

Now it's time to start getting ready for next weekend's camping trip to Greenbrier State Park. With that being said I think I'm going to keep this week's posts focused on camping!! There's nothing more fun to do in fall. So if you have any good camp recipes, campgrounds, or anything that you think is worth sharing please be sure to leave me a comment or email me!!

Enjoy, Amanda

1 comment: